Friday, February 16, 2007

I'm so emo it's not even funny.

Bah. CURSE YOU PHILOSOPHY!!!!

Well, now I found an answer to the question of "what good is a philosophy minor?". The answer is, "allow you to form logical arguments for depressing concepts". YEA!

It's been soooo long since I started this post, I figure I should finish it. Well, I'm currently not that emo now, so the effect isn't as great, and I've probably already lost some of my original thoughts.

Anywho, these were my thoughts. Sure we seem alive, and we appear to stay exactly the same when one cell leaves us. Even if one brain cell dies, we don't even give a damn about it. So what happens when we add one more to the mix? And one more, and so on? To what point do we consider ourselves significantly injured? How do you define you?

What exactly am I? I change every single moment. I am not the same person as before. If my brain gets damaged by a pipe similar to Gage, I'd transform into a completely different person. Should I be considered alive? Having so much difficulties defining a person, I am suspect that a you-ness or me-ness is possible. In that sense, dying is really not that bad, 'cause there really isn't a "you" that dies. That is to say, since there is no beginning of "you", then obviously there is no end of "you".

That's wonderful. Made me feel slightly better about my fear of death, but now I've got a problem of self identity. There is no "me", so why do I bother living? What's the point? Sure, we act as though there's some meaning for life, but if the truth is that once we die, we die, what does it matter? You can say that sure, it matters to you personally at that moment in time, but there's problems with that idea. First, since I have a huge difficulty defining who and what I am, I'd have difficulty understanding to what and who life is important. You may say that it's important for the people around you, and for your decendents. Well, who the heck gives a damn in 100 years? 1000 years? A million years? How about a billion years? You'd think in a billion years, people will remember someone as terrible as Hitler? And your life really doesn't matter to the people around you. Other people's lives go on. You could also say that there's no proof that we don't have souls, and there's some sort of afterlife. Well, if we have souls, and afterlife exist, then I'd be very satisfied. In fact, I would give an arm and a leg and perhaps one of my eyeballs as payment for someone to come and haunt me, if that's what it takes. Oh heck, I may as well as throw in a kidney, a lung, and one testicle while I'm at it. But what I see what's in front of me, of a functional body that moves and does things one moment, and no longer doing so the next. It's exactly the same as a funtional machine, that broke down and no longer works. We see that when machines fail, it just fails. Never again funtioning. We can't imagine a machine having a soul and have some sort of afterlife, so why do we imagine our body to contain souls?

And now for something completely different.

As some of you know, my grandparents from my dad's side aren't exactly supportive of my immediate family. They give no love to their children, but demands love and money in return. They complain that their children do not honour them. I'm not sure how common their behaviour is, but I blame confuciousm philosophy in the orient. The whole idea of filial piety is bogus. Honour your parents yes, but only if they exhibited love, and thus deserve to be honoured. Respect should only be given to individuals worthy of respect.

And now for something completely different, part 2.

I wonder, is jealousy of children common? That is to say, if children are better than you in every shape and form, what proportion of parents would be jealous? Personally, I'd want my kids to be great. That is to say, be the best at what he/she do. Be it instigate a revolution to overthrow a government, or be the best serial murderer, or one who finds the cure for every diseases, or one who brings world peace at last, or the world's best con artist, or the next Hitler, or the next Mother Teresa. What ever the deed, I'd be proud. Better to be a terrible monster than to live a life of mediocrity. If my children become monsters, I'd be proud of the fact that they became an icon for society to know what not to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

"what good is a philosophy minor?". The answer is, "allow you to form logical arguments for depressing concepts". YEA! This bit made me laugh, because that's basically what good my university education did me. Particularly my Political Science course entitled "Political Criticism in Literature." The prof was basically a severely depressed intellectual who so affirmed my thinking that everything is worthless that I failed to see the point of attending university anymore and dropped out. Ironic?

Sure, we act as though there's some meaning for life, but if the truth is that once we die, we die, what does it matter?... You may say that it's important for the people around you, and for your decendents. Well, who the heck gives a damn in 100 years?... And your life really doesn't matter to the people around you. This is a pretty sombre vein of existentialism, and pretty much the belief I subscribe to. Sometimes I wish I had been brainwashed as I grew up to become one of those silly little Christians without fear of the end.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home